Re: Berlina Steering

On torsdag, mar 20, 2003, at 18:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Ian Lomax wrote:

Well, they're not really gears, more of a
"worm-and-roller" arrangement, which I guess could be
considered gears.  Semantics...

Anyhoo, look at the top of the steering box and you
should see a plate about 2" long and 1" wide with a
13mm (head size) bolt at each end.  Under this plate
there are shims which are used to adjust the free-play
in the steering.  You remove a shim to tighten things
up, add shims to loosen them.

[snip]

...if it's a Burman steering box. If it's a ZF it will in deed have a bolt which allows the tightening of the gears (caveat noted).

Admittedly I'm going out on a slight limb here since I don't know if ZFs were actually ever fitted to Berlinas but I reckon they were.

Regards

Jacob Haagerup,
'75 GT 1600 Jr. M, 1.8
Rotterdam, Nederland