re: Special bits

In case Biba doesn't get the interest to justify series production of carbon fiber Euro bumpers, I should point out that my fraternity here at Carnegie Mellon has a lot of equipment and expertise in making composite stuff. If anyone has a Euro bumper to lend me, I'd estimate that we could make replicas for less than $100. It will require a fairly major time commitment from myself and some other members of the fraternity, so I'll open this up first to a Euro GTV-6 bumper, just because I need an appreciably lighter bumper for my car as the stock one is in the process of falling off the rusty supports. I may end up making a fiberglass copy of the stock one, except I'd rather start with the simpler shape of the Euro one. I can't promise anything at this point, but if someone actually offers to lend me a Euro GTV-6 bumper, I will probably make a fiberglass one to test our ability to replicate this sort of part. If it proves successful we could theoretically make them out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, with or without a honeycomb mesh in them to make them genuinely useful. And whoever lends me the bumper will get a composite one at below cost. Just to reiterate, no promises of production at this point, but the possibility is very real if the interest exists in the appropriate quantity.

Joe Elliott

At 7:01 AM +0000 3/20/03, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:57:12 -0700
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: Special bits

I'm not remotely saying I have a fix for all the special bits one might
'require' on their Alfa. That said, and not sure if I've mentioned this,
but a young rice rocket fellow has moved in next door. Somewhat
interesting in that I'm sure his lease reads as mine, "No bloody working
on cars in these premises...or else."

Yeah, I have the same feeling as you regarding rice rockets. He's an
extremely bright young man. Just today he came in with a pair of
aluminum rear wings. Gorgeous craftsmanship. Not my cup of tea but feel
they might well be of help to the 2 / 3 Series Spider race cars. Not
saying they wouldn't still swap ends, but might help at higher speeds
(providing you're willing to go major unoriginal.).

Then he shows up with a custom aluminum (quite small) radiator. We both
were busy and I told him we needed to talk.

He also has great sources for carbon fiber parts as well as vinyl
covered dashes / side moldings (ala Just Dashes).

The, what I'll call, hotrod scene along with their suppliers have always
been able to 'get there' more quickly than traditional sources.

Let's just say for a moment you (and perhaps a small group of others)
want to make some upgrades on your Alfetta GT or (?) - in spite of what
your wives and others say.

How about a carbon fiber set of Euro bumpers & hood?; an aluminium
radiator; perhaps a rear (aluminumm) wing; and perhaps have your dash recovered?

This will be my only suggestion regarding these items. Contact me. If I
get only one or two emails (as I would expect) any / all of these
potential items will fall by the wayside.

Merely throwing this out as a possibility.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Note: They don't have to be Alfetta GT parts.