RE: 1750 Headgasket Replacement Without Rollpins

roll pin depth is 1.5mm exposed.

-----Original Message-----
    From: "Caxambu@domain.elided" <Caxambu@domain.elided>
    Sent: 3/17/03 6:29:05 PM
    To: "alfa@domain.elided" <alfa@domain.elided>
    Subject: 1750 Headgasket Replacement Without Rollpins
      Hi,

    Just removed the head today on the Spider by myself. Couldn't get ahold
of
    any of my friends and just wanted to get it done. Stood facing backwards
on
    the blankets I draped over the fenders for protection, and just lifted
it
    straight up, then set it on a piece of plywood I had placed on the
cowling
    and edge of the left fender.

    The reason for the head gasket replacement is the increasing quantity of
oil
    in the water, (thankfully not the other way around).

    Now here's a few questions I'd like to ask:

    1. Where can I get roll pins-- there are none in this 1750 block. Or
does
    anyone have info on size so I can find them locally, possibly at the
local HW
    store? I already know where to get the square-cut o-rings but would
rather
    also have the added security of the roll pins. How far do I insert the
roll
    pins? The o-rings appeared to be ok except for the one in the left front
    corner (over the alternator) that was slightly deformed-- dimpled in a
bit.

    2. Methods for cleaning the mating surfaces. I know it is important not
    gouge the surfaces so was thinking of using the spray-type chemical
gasket
    remover but wondered if it was too caustic to the aluminum. I was going
    start with paint thinner and a plastic putty knife. Would this get it
clean
    enough?

    3. There was a lot more water/oil sludge in the water jackets around the
    cylinder liners then I expected. Should I try to clean it out while the
head
    is off, or rely on flushing the cooling system several times (with
flushing
    product) after buttoning it all back together?

    4. I removed the head with the Spica intake manifold attached. Is there
any
    reason to replace that gasket if I have not been having problems there?

    5. There is some crusty junk in the Spica injector line connectors. Is
brake
    cleaner a good bet for cleaning these?

    Thanks!

    --Caxambu