Re: 1750 Headgasket Replacement Without Rollpins

> Just removed the head today on the Spider by myself.
> Couldn't get ahold of
> any of my friends and just wanted to get it done.
> Stood facing backwards on
> the blankets I draped over the fenders for
> protection, and just lifted it
> straight up, then set it on a piece of plywood I had
> placed on the cowling
> and edge of the left fender.

been there, done that!

> 1. Where can I get roll pins-- there are none in
> this 1750 block. Or does
> anyone have info on size so I can find them locally,
> possibly at the local HW
> store? I already know where to get the square-cut
> o-rings but would rather
> also have the added security of the roll pins. How
> far do I insert the roll
> pins? The o-rings appeared to be ok except for the
> one in the left front
> corner (over the alternator) that was slightly
> deformed-- dimpled in a bit.

Alfa Parts in Berkeley sells a killer brass set that
gets my vote.  www.alfa-parts.com

> 2. Methods for cleaning the mating surfaces. I know
> it is important not to
> gouge the surfaces so was thinking of using the
> spray-type chemical gasket
> remover but wondered if it was too caustic to the
> aluminum. I was going to
> start with paint thinner and a plastic putty knife.
> Would this get it clean
> enough?

use the chemical stripper first, then very fine
scotchbrite pads and acetone.  wear gloves, and not
latex as they'll disintigrate almost instantly.

> 3. There was a lot more water/oil sludge in the
> water jackets around the
> cylinder liners then I expected. Should I try to
> clean it out while the head
> is off, or rely on flushing the cooling system
> several times (with flushing
> product) after buttoning it all back together?

i would suck as much out as you can with a turkey
baster type device.  then do a good flush when it's
all back together again.

> 4. I removed the head with the Spica intake manifold
> attached. Is there any
> reason to replace that gasket if I have not been
> having problems there?

nope, leave it alone.

> 5. There is some crusty junk in the Spica injector
> line connectors. Is brake
> cleaner a good bet for cleaning these?

either that or soak them in a parts cleaner solution
for a few days.

have fun!

ian lomax
Nothern California