Re: Chassis stiffener for spider

> I am considering installing the chassis stiffener
> available from IAP on my '87
> spider Quad. I would do this mostly to eliminate the
> unsettling cowl shake I
> experience when driving over bumps in the road and
> RR tracks.  I welcome any
> comments from folks who have installed the stiffener
> on their spider.  Is it
> heavy?  Is it easy to install?

Heavy, sort of.  About 30 lbs I think?  Mine was a
pain to install, and had to be cut and rewelded.  I
finally paid someone else $300 to install it with the
modifications.  Then again, my spider was hit back in
the early 70's, and might not have been completely
"stock".  Then again, it might be within Pininfarina's
tolerances, whatever they were.  My car was about 1/4
shorter underneath on the driver's side.

> Does it eliminate the cowl shake and improve
> steering response as advertised?

Eliminate no.  Reduce yes.  On my 71 spider it made a
noticable difference, but it's still not as stiff as a
closed car.

> Is it worth the cost?

For me yes.  But that's a personal decision.  On my
car it made a noticable difference, which made this
tightwad happy.  Just don't expect miracles...

Cheers,
Ian Lomax
71 Spider and a couple coupes
Northern California