Re: 2 litre coolant passages

original message
------------------------
Subject: 2 litre coolant passages

Can the coolant passages be cleaned out without tearing down the engine?
If so, how should I go about doing so?

Tony, what makes you think they are blocked ?

I should have described the problem more thoroughly.
What I did not mention in my original query was that I have had a 78 Spider for many years that cannot get stuck in crawling traffic without experiencing a rapid rise in temperature (mostly a problem in summertime). I have tried everything over the years, even bothered youz guys with the problem a couple of times. The blocked coolant passage theory is about all I have left, that and a water pump I don't trust since I have never had to replace it (regardless of it's harsh existence). I have this recurring vision of the water pump impeller somehow, explicably not spinning despite all outward signs that it must be.
Oh yeah, then there is that other recurring vision (waking nightmare?) of coolant passages in the head caked almost shut with crud and scale.
Are these things impossible? I dunno. That's what I'm asking you good people.
Clearly I have been fighting this problem for far too long. I may need some sort of prescription if I don't figure this out soon.

The following timeline only includes the more major events as I recall them, and has spanned roughly 8-9 years!

Things that have been done to try and cool her down (a rough timeline):
------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------
cooling system flushed
t-stat changed.
radiator recored (also had a row added).
considered an oil cooler. Thought to self- The bottom half of the engine IS an oil cooler!
In the process of adding A/C to the car it got an electric pusher fan.
despite having A/C, sometimes find self driving with heat cranked to help dissipate heat!
cooling system flushed.
cast an untrusting look at the water pump.
replaced hoses.
t-stat changed again (wishful thinking)
tried to bleed system via the big nut on the back end of the Spica fuel rail (pretty much just kept gushing coolant, I never did see a substantial air bubble emerge).
thought to self- Hmm, did I do that right?
removed belt-driven fan and added an electric puller fan with manual control (fans in front and back of the radiator now)
checked water pump for any signs of wear, seems fine from the outside. cast an untrusting look at the water pump again. It has not been replaced since the car has been in my possession.
ask digest dumb question about coolant passages.

Trying to think happy thoughts,
Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net