RE: 105 Transmission Removal

Dick -

This may have been covered in the past, but for your benefit and the benefit
of others who may be interested ... yes it is possible, I've done it many
times. The big debate revolves around whether or not it is easier to remove
the engine and transmission as a unit or to just drop the transmission.

I'm not going to address the pros and cons of doing it one way or the other,
but in a nut shell here are the steps to remove the transmission with the
engine in place:

1) disconnect battery

2) Working inside the car, remove the center carpet (duetto), or center
console (GTV). Remove all the boots around the shifter, remove the single
bolt holding the shift lever to the transmission and remove the shift lever.
In the case of the Duetto, collect the balls, spring and any other bits that
may fall out. These are for the reverse lock-out.

3) Raise car as high as possible and support safely with jack stands. Usual
disclaimers apply

4) Working under the car remove the driveshaft, marking the two halves to
one another if you separate them. (some people may prefer to only remove the
front half, personally I find it easier to get the whole thing out of the
way).

5) unbolt the exhaust headers from the exhaust pipe, and remove the exhaust
support bracket from the transmission.

6) Disconnect the one side of the center drag link from either the steering
box or idler box, and let hang.

7) remove clutch cover, and disconnect the clutch cable (duetto), remove
slave cylinder (71 GTV), (you can leave the slave cylinder connected and
thereby avoid bleeding later).

8) (cars with floor mounted pedals only) you need to either remove the
entire pedal box, or the clutch lever. I prefer to remove the complete pedal
box as it tends to get in the way of the transmission going in or out.
Unbolt the master cylinder from the pedal box and just let it hang there on
some mechanics wire. There is a sheet metal plate that needs to be removed
inside the car, and the box unbolts from underneath. 4 bolts I think. Also
on the carb cars, disconnect one end of the throttle rod from the ball,
otherwise you may break/bend it when you lower the rear of the transmission.

9) remove ground cable, and disconnect speedo cable.

10) unbolt the transmission from the engine, 4 8mm nuts on the sides, and
two 8mm nuts and bolts on the top. (You may need to remove the rear
transmission mount, let the tranny hang down some and use a long extension
with a flexi-socket to get the top two bolts.

11) You will also need to unbolt the starter from the bell housing, but you
can leave the starter in place and not disconnect the wires.

11) if you haven't already done so, remove the rear tranny mount from both
the chassis and the transmission.

12) at this point, the back of the transmission will be hanging down, the
upper part of the sump should be resting on the crossmember, and the
transmission should come out with a little persuasion once you get it free
of the two dowel pins at the back of the engine. If you've never done this
before, it might help to place a jack under it, or have another person under
the car to help catch it. I've done it so many times, that I do not use a
jack as it tends to get in the way more than help.

13) reinstallation is the reverse of the removal as they say. Note the
following: it is absolutely essential that the clutch disc is properly
centered otherwise no amount of swearing will get the dang transmission back
in. You also might find it helpful to place a jack under the front of the
engine to tilt the engine rearward to help with re-installation.

Lastly, when lowering the transmission/back of the engine, watch that the
radiator fan does not get caught on the radiator or radiator shroud. They
usually clear without too much interference if you help flex the fan past
the shroud.

As I recall an Alfa 5 speed weighs somewhere around 90 pounds. So be
prepared when handling them.

YMMV, all the usual disclaimers apply, there are other ways to do this, this
is just one way, and the way that I personally prefer to do this job but not
necessarily the 'correct' or 'proper' way if there is such a thing.

Jeff