DOs and DUHs (Engine Washing)

Engines can be washed without a problem. ............ generally speaking anyway.

Gunk degreasers and similar products do a decent job. One needs of course to wash the material off which provoked the non-starting problem. (Even a cold water steam with no degreaser can do some good and more if one uses hot water.)

For a deep spark well engine one can stuff the well with absorbent material - paper toweling for example. A distributor or other water sensitive unit can be covered with a plastic bag or the like.

Perhaps more to the point : spraying the plug wires etc with "Wire Dry" after a wash down can be extremely useful. If you cannot find "Wire Dry", I suggest using WD-40 which may be as good. (WD stands for "water displacement")

Along with oil, coolant, and some basic tools we carry "Wire Dry" in our vehicles just in case. (DO CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER OF COURSE !!). This material has saved my butt many times. Occasionally a Wisconsin morning can produce a great deal of condensation; a several day rain can seemingly supersaturate everything. Suddenly coming into standing water can also wet an engine.

To be more specific : "Wire Dry"/"WD-40" to displace moisture is for emergency use. I rarely use it even after an engine wash as it is not necessary given the precautions above. Degreaser on engine compartment paint may dull the surface especially if not waxed afterward. Unless you are AR, you may wish to skip the wax job by avoiding the paint.

A garden sprayer can also be used with good results as it is much more controllable than a hose and can, for example, produce a high speed needle stream for particular detail cleaning. Good old hot water in such a sprayer makes a difference. Using a product such as "Simple Green" can do a good job as well. (I keep wanting to call this stuff "Soylent Green". Fans of the writer Harry Harrison might appreciate that.)

David