Re: spica fuel line routing

Just had a good look at mine after removing the head.

The restrictor is actually part of the injector pump fuel return fitting (the
outlet nipple)-- the front one. It is basically a regular threaded nipple
with a blocking plate (soldered?) in the tube, with a small hole drilled in
the center of it. Same idea as those water restrictors the water dept. sent
us to put in the shower head. The fuel line routing on my car is as you
described, untouched since Wes Ingram inspected it so I would presume it is
correct.

What are the symptoms that you are experiencing? If the restrictor is gone, I
would expect a constant low fuel pressure warning light. If the restrictor is
plugged, I am not sure what the immediate symptom would be, but the
long-range problem would be eventual damage to the pump since it relies on a
constant flow-thru of gasoline for cooling.

All of my Spica problems have been caused by the following:
80% of the time-- Clogged rear filter
15% of the time-- Clogged front filter
4% of the time-- Failing Thermostatic Actuator (good for 5-6 yrs. on average)
1% of the time-- Spica adjustment needed.

Ian's Question:
> Is there a "correct" fuel line routing from the main
> fuel filter to the Spica pump?  My Alfetta currently
> has the inlet (from the filter) going into the rear of
> the pump, with the output coming out the front.
>
> I know there is supposed to be an orifice in the
> return line to build pressure.  Can the orifice be
> placed at either end of the pump, or is the pump
> designed so that fuel flows in a certain direction
> through the pump?
>
> My next step is to pull the Spica input and output
> ports and check to see where the orifice is.
>
> If you hadn't guessed, my Alfetta is running like crap
> and I'm trying to eliminate everything I can before
> going through the hassle and expense of pulling the
> injection pump itself.

--Caxambu
1969 Spider 1750
Seattle WA