spica fuel line routing

Is there a "correct" fuel line routing from the main
fuel filter to the Spica pump?  My Alfetta currently
has the inlet (from the filter) going into the rear of
the pump, with the output coming out the front.

I know there is supposed to be an orifice in the
return line to build pressure.  Can the orifice be
placed at either end of the pump, or is the pump
designed so that fuel flows in a certain direction
through the pump?

My next step is to pull the Spica input and output
ports and check to see where the orifice is.

If you hadn't guessed, my Alfetta is running like crap
and I'm trying to eliminate everything I can before
going through the hassle and expense of pulling the
injection pump itself.

Thanks,
Ian Lomax
75 Alfetta - runs like a $300 Alfetta