Re: F1 vs NASCAR

When I first responded to Mr. Smiths original comments
I was not, and am still not, making an arguement for
or
against either F1 or NASCAR.  I don't particularly
care which race format any fan prefers.  My arguement
was against his usual the characterization of
Americans as bumpkins who don't understand F1, as if
most Americans care what the F1 contingent thinks,
(lets see, a small number of cars go around a track
for so many laps and the first one to finish wins ....
except for team orders of course.) or
implying that NASCAR fans are somehow mentally
deficient because they prefer one form of racing over
another and the corollary that those who prefer F1 are
somehow superior and display more savoire faire.  To
me it is a tomato/tomahto argument.  I often wonder
why
there is so much vitriol expressed by some .... sour
grapes, maybe; jealosy, probably; and most likely a
distinct social prejudice towards the origins of
NASCAR racing ... you know, no barons or counts
drinking champagne and racing for the glory of ...
well ..... something .... even though there has been
the Dixie equivilent of the Bentley Boys.  Anyway,
auto racing is auto racing despite the prejudice of
some.  So, I was not picking one style of racing over
another, maybe that was my mistake, and I still am
not... let 'em race and if you don't like what you
see, turn off the factory installed preference
selector or buy your ticket elsewhere.

Jerry in Houston