RE: GTV6 intermittent spark

Ryan wrote:
<I've been tracking this problem for months now and am having some
difficulty
with it.  My '84 GTV6 has intermittent spark issues.  While cruising down
the
road, occasionally it will cut off and then refuse to start.  >

    I had exactly the same symptoms with my '84 GTV6, including an untimely
stranding in the center lane of a six lane boulevard.  I eventually
discovered that one of the wires, connected to one of the coil's primary
terminals, was shorting to the inner fender where the wire rested on the
fender several inches away from the coil.  This was a white wire, perhaps 14
gage, that connected to the coil primary terminal with a rectangular
translucent plastic plug.  The wire looked perfect, except for a small black
charred hole in the insulation through which the wire would arc to the
fender.  I cut out the defective piece of wire, spliced the wire back
together, and have had no further problems.
Bert Neily
Raleigh, NC, USA
'84 GTV6