Re: IAP/C&D subs

Mike Trimble said:

"I got an identical gift, and mine have been turning up in the mailbox like
clockwork...This is obviously a promotional deal they've
worked up with C&D: The store banks some good will and the mag hopes that
these new subscribers will re-up with their own money when the freebie runs
out. Win-win for everybody, I'd say, unless you don't care for the magazine."

I've been getting mine regularly as well, and I'm not sure I'd continue on my own. I treasure the memories of Warren Weith, and even kinda liked Davis in spite of
his relentless self-glorification. I remember feeling some trepidation when they moved their HQ from New York to Ann Arbor, and was relieved when the old attitude
seemed to prevail, at least until Davis took his best writers and split...but the crowd now in charge seems to have moved clear out to Idaho. That they could just
as well call it "Truck and Driver" is bad enough, but last month one of those guys (Bedard, I think) mentioned that LJK Setright had once written for the
magazine, and dismissed his prose as "incomprehensible." YMMV, but in my estimation none of those folks is worthy to check Setright's oil, much less trash his
writing. Their constant yammering against any form of environmentalism also got old an awfully long time ago.

As for IAP, put me down as another satisfied semi-customer - I bought a steering rack from them a few years ago, but all I've done more recently was call them for
price and availability on a few things which I then proceeded to buy from someone else. Their telephone people, however, are unfailingly cooperative and pleasant.

Will Owen