Re: Porterfield

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 07:56:08 -0800 Mike Nakamura <mike_nakamura@domain.elided> wrote:
> The R4-S worked great for ALFA club events. I felt they were the best all
> around pad I've used.
>
> You can use the R4-S compound all the time or change them in and out for
> track events.
>
> I no longer consider other pads, if I'm running club events, I get the
> R4-S
> compound. Since I'm not racing, I don't seek the very last advantage. If
> raced, I would try the Porterfield R-4S, R-4 or R-4E.

one of the features of the Porterfield (and some other high
performance/racing pads) is the ceramic insulator built in (at least, they
used to have this.)

this is of particular value when you have overheating problems (Alfetta
fronts in race environments, inboard rears), as they help keep heat out of
the calipers, which if unchecked leads to boiled fluid which can be most
unpleasant (my IT alfetta consistently had braking problems at watkins
glen, usually happening 1/2 way through 12-15 lap races, always due to
fluid boil. i was using the ereminas semimetallics at the time. it's
something that i need to address when-and-if the car is returned to the
fray. watkins glen is not a fun place to have the brake pedal go soft and
squishy.)

richard