Re: Oils

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 03:10 AM, Brian Shorey wrote:

<snip>
their seals compromised by any modern multi-weight oil, whether it be
synthetic, semi-synthetic or pure mineral oil. Modern oils have
aggressive additive packages, with strong detergents and dispersants.
These are designed to keep all impurities in suspension so that they
will end up in the oil filter, not in the engine. Older cars, with
their single-grade oils depended on deposits around the gaskets and
seals to make them oil-tight because the tolerances weren't that tight

in days before CNC machining.  An aggressive additive package will
dissolve these deposits and the seals will leak.  Also modern oil
viscosity such as that found in synthetics is simply too thin to work
<snip>

I can't argue, but I do have a question.

I don't see what the viscosity of an oil, or the weight, has to do with
detergents and additives (with the exception of VE additives).
Nothing per se, they're two different subjects. HOWEVER, they are somewhat tied together because multi-viscosity oil, being designed for more modern engines, has the more aggressive additive package. As far as viscosity is concerned, modern engines have much tighter tolerances and smaller bearing gaps in the bearing journals, apparently, than do older engines. This means that less oil pressure is required to support the crank and rods in their journals. That's why modern engines can use oils with viscosities 10W-X, 5W-X, and even 0W-X (where X is the warm engine viscosity such as 30, 40, 50 or 60W).

My understanding is that something like Valvoline straight 40 weight oil is
basically the same as Valvoline 10w-40, with the exception of the
viscosity enhancers (VE).
That is not clearly the case. Maybe if I explain how multi-viscosity oil works, it will paint a clearer picture. Multi-vis oils contain, as you say, a viscosity modifier. This modifier consists of what amounts to billions of little, sub-microscopic, polymer "coil springs" added to the oil. When the oil is cold, these little "springs" coil up tight reducing their overall volume and making the oil thinner. As the oil warms, the "springs" uncoil, making the oil more viscous. An analogy would be flour added to water. Water is very thin, pours and runs easily. Add flour to the water, and as the individual flour granules absorb the water, the mixture thickens, it does this because the flour granules expand as they absorb the water. Now, if we could come up with a flour that was temperature sensitive, I.E. it gave the water up when it got cold, and re-absorbed it when it was warm, we would have a perfect analogy to multi-weight oil. Therefore, I'd say that the basic oil, before the viscosity modifiers are added, would have be very thin. Probably even thinner than the final cold weight of the oil because even coiled-up, these polymer "springs" add volume to the oil.

So I don't see how a modern straight weight motor oil would be any less
'damaging' to vintage seals than a modern multi viscosity oil from the
same manufacturer.
It depends on the manufacturer. Some oil manufacturers put a similar additive package to all their oils, while others use less aggressive additive packages to their single-weight oils because they realize that these oils will be used in older cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, and other low-tolerance engines. Some companies, like Castrol, for instance, make single-weight oils specifically designed for classic automobiles employing oil filters. These oils have a different type of additive package, one which contains anti-rust compounds, anti-wear ingredients and viscosity index modifiers to stop the oil from thinning too much as it gets hot. All of these are combined with detergents and dispersants which are much less aggressive than those of a modern counterpart. For even older cars, those made pre-war for example, and made without oil filters (as many were), there are other special oil formulations which have the anti-rust compounds, anti-wear ingredients and viscosity index modifiers, but omit the detergents and dispersants altogether, or use very little of either.

I know plenty of people who are using modern synthetic oils in Alfas
built in the 50's and 60's with no problem, although, to be honest, I'd
imagine the engines in these cars have been rebuilt at some point in the
last 20 years or so.
They probably leak too, or suffer from premature main seal failures and possibly premature bearing problems, and the owners just chalk it up to the mythology about Italian cars- that they leak like sieves and are high maintenance. They might not even realize that if they used the correct oil, the leaking might stop, or at least abate somewhat and that their main seals would last several times longer and they could go 100,000 miles between bottom-end rebuilds instead of 50,000. The oil companies say that engines not designed for multi-weight oil will suffer from low oil- pressure and poor bearing support when they are cold leading to premature main and rod bearing failure.

Please understand, I'm not a mechanic, or an expert in this field by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just going by what I've read in my research on motor lubrication for the article I'm writing and passing it along to Digest readers for what it's worth. These are the recommendations of the companies which manufacture these lubricants. Perhaps they err too much on the side of caution for liability's sake, and in practice, the consequences of using these modern lubricants in older cars are not nearly so grim as they predict. I would have no way of knowing. And asking mechanics is also an empty procedure. Ask a dozen Alfa mechanics and you'll get at least two dozen answers. People tend to recommend what works well for them. The long-term effects of using the wrong oil are just that, long term effects. Usually, when something does happen, its so far removed from the event, that pathological correlations are rarely made. How, for instance, is one to know for sure that a different oil would have made their engine last twice as long as it did? One has to rely on someone's data here, and the oil companies are the only ones that *I* know of who have done the research and that's probably at least a little tainted by commercial needs.

I'd leave Redline out of this discussion, my understanding is that they
are a completely different story when it comes to engine oil, and that
Redline straight weight racing oil, for example, is not recommended to
be left sitting in any engine for any amount of time.
Well, I mentioned Redline as a source for information, not as a recommended oil . They probably have more literature available on the various aspects of automobile lubrication than does any other company.

bs

George Graves
'86 GTV-6