Subject: Re: synthetic oil

I can tell you from personal experiences that the synthetic oil are a great
benefit.  Prior to introducing it in my 94 Chevy 1500, I was burning 1 quart
every 500 miles when hauling my 5th wheel camper.  The camper weighed
approximately 5000 lbs and I always went about 5 mph over the posted speed
limits.  Having decided to go on a vacation with the rig around the USA, I
decided to give this stuff a try.  I hauled the rig from Alabama to Seattle
and then down to Los Angeles and the oil level was still at maximum and my
truck was running cooler also.  By the time I return home after 7000 miles,
the oil was still fairly clean and the level was still close to max on the
dip stick.  I was totally satisfied and decided to switch my 90 New Yorker
to synthetic.  For years I ran 16,000 miles between oil changes but changed
the filter about every 5000 miles.  I took the old filters apart on a
regular basis and never found any visible particulate mater that bothered
me.  I currently use synthetic oil in our 2002 PT Cruiser and go 10000 miles
between oil changes.

John Ortakales
71 Alfa Spider
www.knology.net/ortak