Re: Alfa Spica vs Ferrari Webbers (sic; correctly Webers)

> I wasn't really following what BMW or Porsche were
> up to, but my impression is that their excursions into injection
technology
> were home-market or world-market rather than USA-only, but I may be wrong.

No, you're not wrong.  Porsche was definitely using fuel injection on all
cars in all markets, and they were a small automaker too, especially at that
time.  Although I'm sure emissions was a factor in the decision at some
level, Porsche was definitely using fuel injection for performance reasons.
The Kugelfischer "slidevalve" injection on the Carerra RSR was extremely
potent, and the mechanical injection they used on the street models was also
viewed as "the future".  Carbs were viewed as "the past", even though it
would be some years before any street-application electronic or digital
injection systems matched the throttle response or even outright power of a
good set of performance carbs...

Porsche then went on to offer fully-digital Motronic injection in 1983,
almost before anyone else.  BMW was right there with them, bringing it out
in 1982 on the 533i and 733i I think, and maybe even earlier on some
European models.  Those two companies, BMW and Porsche, were leading the way
in those days.  They definitely had the digital bit firmly between their
teeth.  Conversely, Mercedes-Benz and Alfa Romeo were pretty much bringing
up the rear, at least from a digital engine management perspective.

Even Saab had their moment in the sun.  A handful of years back I remember
reading about Saab's "Trionic" engine managment system.  Apparently, it was
so effective at curbing emissions, the automotive press was invited to a
demonstration which showed that the exhaust coming out the tailpipe was
cleaner than the AMBIENT air in the city in which the car was being tested.
London, I think.  I'm sure it was a somewhat questionable test, but the
press sure was blown away.

Cheers,

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078