Re: Electric Blower

> My initial reaction is sounds hokey.   They run about $300 and claim 5-15%
> hp boost, though they offer no money back guarantee of results.
> Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

My impression is that it looks hokey too, but who knows?  And they DO
specifically offer to refund your money if you don't see a minimum of 4%
power gain.

The part that bothers me is that they claim "no changes in fuel mixture are
needed" even when used with an air flow meter.  With a mass air sensor, I
can imagine that might be true (because the mass air sensor actually
measures the mass of the intake air flow - or at least a portion of the
intake air flow and then calculates the total air flow...), but with an air
flow meter, there is no provision to actually meter the amount of intake
air.  The AFM is pretty much just a potentiometer, and the position of the
"barn door" sends a signal to the computer that relates to what the
estimated air flow is.  If the barn door is as open as it's going to get,
the computer is going to send a full-throttle mixture setting no matter how
much air is actually coming in.

If more air is being rammed through the AFM, how is the computer going to
know it?  My guess is that it's not, and the result will be one of two
possibilities:

1)  The car runs fine, because the little blower isn't really doing much
anyway, and therefore the whole thing is pointless.

2)  The car runs lean, because the little blower actually IS doing
something, but the computer does not enrich the mixture appropriately
because it doesn't KNOW the little blower is actually doing something.

Just fitting a different fuel pressure regulator or something wouldn't work
either, because the device only operates at WOT, which means the car would
run rich the 95% of the time that most of use drive around at
part-throttle...

But my logic might be flawed, so feel free to correct me...

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078
email: paul@domain.elided
www.paoloroman.com