Re:

> Speaking of which, my big airflow meter is sitting in a desk drawer
> because I don't have an adjustable regulator yet.  Can anyone who has
> done this give me a part number(s) or something?  I'm reluctant to
> just buy a generic on and count on being able to eliminate the stock
> regulator--I took it to Ohio Hydraulic in Cincinnati and asked for
> some fittings so I could replace it with a T-fitting, but I don't
> have a lot of faith in the stuff they sold me.
>
> Joe Elliott <-- doesn't have any money

This might not help given your PS above, but. . .

BMP Design (blasphemy, a BMW parts supplier!  http://www.bmpdesign.com)
sells adjustable fuel regulators for a wide variety of BMW applications,
including the 3.5 liter you mention (I can't think of a 3.2 liter BMW engine
off the top of my head, but I could be blanking).  If it will work on the
BMW, it could work on an Alfa with a BMW AFM.  The one for the 3.5 liter
application is $300, not cheap, but it includes all needed adaptors and
instructions.

Tony