Re: modifying cars

> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:47:14 -0500
> From: "Ryan Fellini" <rfellini@domain.elided>
> Subject: modifying cars
>
> This topic about modifying cars seems very one sided, almost like we
> are leading to the conclusion that it is correct not to modify a car....

Alfisti,

I agree with Ryan completely.  But, I will add a bit of a caveat and say
that what really sets those of us who love automobiles apart from the
huddled masses is that we appreciate our machinery and enjoy driving and
tinkering with our cars.

I personally adhere to the "modify carefully, and only where there is a
'proven' improvement" philosophy, but to be honest, I respect all
'gear-heads', Alfisti or not.  I certainly understand the desire to keep a
vehicle as stock as possible, especially when the car is rare and old, but I
also admire those who hot-rod their older vehicles (how about a 3.0L V6
Duetto?).  I think the Honda-driving drag racing kids are OK, as are the
folks who restore pushrod muscle-cars, or hot-rod old trucks, or slam their
high-powered VW Beetles and Microbuses!  Heck, even those who choose to
install a stereo are OK by me.  And if all someone wants to do is to
maintain and keep their 15 year-old Buick so it can last another five
years...well, that's OK too!

Obviously, I love Alfas.  I am particularly fond of slightly (traditionally)
modified 105 series cars...and I have a soft spot (probably my head) for
modified GTV6s and 75/ Milanos...but if I had the money, and I could afford
to, I would probably consider lowering and tuning my new Maserati coupe for
a slight gain in handling and performance.

I think we should embrace our brother and sister 'gear-heads', whatever
their persuasion!  As long as they're around, we'll always have someone to
compete with...and besides, we are the ones who keep pushing the
manufacturers by insisting that not all cars come out looking, handling and
acting like Camrys!!

Viva la automobilia!!  Viva l' automobilia libre!!

A radical in Norfolk, VA