Alfetta Clutch Fork Cover

Does anyone have a simple and elegant way to replace this bit of rubber?
It looks to me like the slave cylinder has to come out. I've read the books and understand that the hydraulic line needs to be disconnected and the two mounting bolts undone, but then what? It looks like it will be difficult to get the push rod disengaged from the clutch fork.

My preliminary prodding indicates that it is not easy to move the clutch fork away by other means, and even when I attempted to wedge the fork in a "clutch disengaged" position and released the clutch pedal, the pushrod was still firmly engaged in the depression in the clutch fork.

Any advice would be appreciated - especially if it keeps me from breaking something!

George Beston
1976 Alfetta
1970 Spider 1300 Jr.