modifying cars

This topic about modifying cars seems very one sided, almost like we
are leading to the conclusion that it is correct not to modify a car.  In
the world of AR or car enthusiasm in general, how do we choose what
is "correct"?  So..., I will make a counter-argument.. =)

In automotive engineering, or any design/engineering, its really all about
compromises and evaluating tradeoffs when making design decisions.
Even in design there is hardly ever a "correct" decision... especially when
you have hundreds or thousands of parameters you are dealing with. Yes,
the engineers at AR and (most) other companies will try to hand the
customer the best product they can, but do you really believe that they
didn't make compromises; that even they really wouldn't of preferred things
a different way?

You set the car at a certain height for adequate ground clearance, you put
on certain width tires for good fuel economy, some exhaust system that
meets noise and emissions requirements, some shocks/springs because
of what the marketing department forces on you, etc., etc.  What is to say
that the AR engineers didn't really wish they could just slam that car to the
ground, put in shocks and springs that make it feel like a go-cart, and a large
exhaust with no noise attenuation at all?? :-)   I can tell you many Italian car
crazies love to do this if they can!  Or maybe one guy on the team, from
a recent trip to the States, was really pushing for a Cadillac-sorta ride!

Its a fact that a lot of Euro cars sent to the US have their handling softened
up to "suit the American consumer".  So is it wrong to change it to Euro-spec,
or even a bit more aggressive?  I recently changed the springs in my Saab
Turbo.  Its much stiffer now, probably annoying to most American drivers
over these Michigan potholes, but I accepted that tradeoff for the amazing
(AMAZING) way it takes curves now.  I wouldn't go back to the original
springs for anything (well unless these potholes get significantly larger, but
they really can't.. :) I also modified the intake system so I could hear the turbo
whine all the bit louder.  Crazy? Not practical? Not original?
Maybe, but I love it!!

I can really appreciate people who want to keep the car ab-so-lute-ly as it
came from the factory.  It is as making the argument that you want to hear the
music as Verdi composed it.  Ok, va bene, but the great thing about cars is
that if someone wants to go out and adjust the tire pressures different from
factory specification all the way from putting on wider tires, a quadruple
exhaust, or a triple-decker wing, more power to them!  What ever makes
he/she happy.  That is what car enthusiasm is about, and really its above all
what fellow enthusiasts in the automotive industry really like to see, people
loving those cars..  I think the last thing that makes sense is for us to raise the
high-brow and somehow belittle Maserati (or your favourite brand goes here)
owners for wanting to tweak/fiddle around/modify their cars.  Isn't it really all
about what ever brings out our individual emotions when we go out and drive?

ciao,
Ryan
ps. and I'll go on record as being horrified at the story of the guy who saved
that free Alfa, and his friend wanting to cut it up into a racer.  On the other
hand, lowering it a couple inches would of been just fine.  We all have our
preferred design point afterall...