Re: NEW Maseratis (minimal Alfa content, but some)

After a few letters about buying the latest Maseratis after they have taken
the steepest part of the initial depreciation curve, David Alexander (who
sells them, and has driven them extensively both on the road and on the track
both here and in Italy) rhapsodized about the "Amazing power, fantastic
handling and usable every day.  Most importantly, it has the soul of an
Italian exotic!" but concludes with "Make mine a 6 speed coupe, lowered an
inch (the car has threaded factory coil-overs), wheels offset out a 1/2 inch
farther and a Tubi exhuast." (didn't say anything about wider tires - - )

I know I'm a tad peculiar (been told so more than once) and I admit that I
have occasionally bought steeply depreciated Alfas, but the five Alfas I
bought new (average one every seven years plus, a rising number) have not yet
ever been lowered at all, had wheels spaced out, or exhaust tweaked (other
than going stainless with any needed replacements) nor have any benefited from
wider than stock tires. Others are certainly welcome to season to taste, no
argument, I just haven't been unhappy with Alfa's Alfas as-built.

I can't help thinking about the dilemma an Italian engineer would face
designing cars for the American (and any similar) market. One would of course
want to design the very best car one could, within the company's chosen niche.
But then would you then build that car? Or would you raise it an inch, pull
the wheels in half an inch, and fit minus-one wheels with underwidth tires, so
that the car's designed potential would be fulfilled to the engineer's intent
by the buyer's improvements? A hard choice, I would think.

A related question: Do serious and informed Ferrari buyers think that way -
lower it, space-out plus-two wheels with wider thinner tires and get a better
sounding exhaust? Not really looking for an answer, just perplexed. (Not the
first time, surely not the last -)

Enjoy yours,

John H.