More on roll bars

Russ Neely wrote:
>The "street" roll bar is totally inadequate unless you are really
>short.  The "street" bar comes up to about my ears and it lacks diagonal
>cross bracing.

A female member of this list once pointed out that a lot of
people--including most women--are "really short" by Russ's standards.
Technically, a less tall driver can meet the 1" clearance requirement by
with a lower roll bar, which may not interfere with the convertible top.
Mounting the driver's seat closer to the floor or using a thinner racing
seat can also help get the required clearance.  The ornamental "street"
bars still lack the required cross-bracing, however.

An additional consideration for cars used in driving schools is that, at
least in theory, the instructor in the right-hand seat should have as much
protection as the driver.  We currently don't check helmet clearance  for
the right-seat passenger, but probably should.

Dana Loomis
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club