re: Spider roll bar

Paul Misencik wrote:
>If I'm going to run with the Mid-Atlantic Chapter and the BMWCCA and so forth,
>am I correct in assuming that the "street" roll bar sold by IAP and others is
>not acceptable?

Thanks to Paul for asking this question.  Yes--those "street" bars are
unacceptable.  And you can consider this an authoritative answer, because
I'm chairman of Mid-Atlantic's track events program.

There are three main points to consider in selecting or building a roll
bar: the main hoop must extend the full width of the car, it must have a
diagonal brace, and two rear braces, and there must be at least 1"
clearance between the top of the driver's helmet and a line from the top of
the main hoop to the windshield (or the front hoop, if it's a full cage).
Bolt-in bars are acceptable and the diagonal can be removable, however.
Further details can be found at www.midatlanticaroc.org in the Driving
Schools section.

>Do I have to get one of the SCCA-approved "race" bars from IO
>Port Racing or some other source?

Not necessarily.  First we need to be clear that there is no such thing as
an SCCA-legal rollbar for wheel-to-wheel racing: SCCA has required a full
cage for some time.  The kind of roll bar you want is one that meets the
standards for Solo I (time trials, hill climbs and the like).   Several
manufacturers sell them ready made, or you can have one built locally to
your personal specifications.  This might be a good option for you, because
there is someone in every North Carolina town who builds race cars.  The
NASCAR and circle track boys do good work at honest prices.

>If so, will this bar interfere with the operation of the soft top in any
appreciable way?

Yes, but there are workarounds.  Someone who owns a spider will explain.