Re: Apples 7, Oranges 10, Fourth Quarter...

Will writes:
> That's Tony's take on the subject, and if it works for him I'm glad. It
bothered
> me somehow, though, and I had to think about why, and came to the
conclusion that
> "it's not a sedan, and that makes all the difference" is where we diverge.
That
> might matter to me at the curb, or if I were showing it off, but as soon
as I get
> behind the wheel of anything and start moving it's just a vehicle, to be
used and
> enjoyed to whatever extent is possible.

Actually the whole point (however poorly I expressed it) was not to suggest
superiority of the GTV, or any coupe, to a sedan.  If anything, I have
preferred the sedans I've owned.  Utility, handling and stealth -- what more
could you want?  And if the US ever gets 156 wagons in GTA trim, I'll be
tempted to sell an organ or two.  I was just sharing my experience and
opinion that the many comparisons of the GTV and 2002, including a recent
published one in "European Car" magazine, are not all that valid.  The 2002
may not have the best back seat, but the back seat of a GTV is just an
upholstered shelf, not a place for humans of any size.  The trunk will
barely hold a set of golf clubs, and visibility out the sides and back is
not awful, but limited.  Like most sedans, and older BMW sedans in
particular, the 2002 has comfortable upright seating, good visibility to all
quarters, a useful trunk and above average handling.  I like Berlinas and
Giulias for the same reasons, and I think they make a better comparison to a
2002.  The only car BMW made that I see as a contemporary to a GTV would be
a 2000 CS.  Although it's larger, it is a 4 cyl touring coupe (with a
cramped rear seat and a shallow trunk).  With a stretch, you might include
the little BMW/Glas GT.  I have a 2800 CS, and it is nothing like my GTV --
it's bigger, heavier, completely different in feel.  And when I had my
Bavaria -- I liked driving it better than the CS.  Go figure.

Tony