Apples 7, Oranges 10, Fourth Quarter...

Thus saith Tony Sims:

"Having owned both a BMW '02 and a GTV, I can say with certainty -- this is
an apples to oranges comparison.  No matter how many parts the GTV shares
with a Berlina, it's not a sedan, and that makes all the difference.  I have
no quibble with comparing a 2002 to a Berlina, that is relevant.  As
blasphemous as this comment will be perceived here, I'd pick a 2002 over a
Berlina, I just like the looks better.  I'd also pick a Giulia over a 2002,
same reason."

That's Tony's take on the subject, and if it works for him I'm glad. It bothered
me somehow, though, and I had to think about why, and came to the conclusion that
"it's not a sedan, and that makes all the difference" is where we diverge. That
might matter to me at the curb, or if I were showing it off, but as soon as I get
behind the wheel of anything and start moving it's just a vehicle, to be used and
enjoyed to whatever extent is possible.

I remember encountering a fellow at the Alfa dealer's parts counter once, and
when he asked what model mine was and I said "Berlina," I could tell he was
trying ever so hard not to sneer. He just said, "Oh, well, that's not my style,"
to which I mentally reponded, "Exactly!" The fact that my car was probably both
quicker and faster than his Spider, and had superior high-speed handling to boot,
would not for him begin to negate the stigma of four doors, a roof, and a decent
trunk. This is not to tar Tony with the poseur's brush - lots of folks just
really like coupes and spiders, me very much included, but show me a station
wagon with great twisty-road chops and I'm in love all over again. And I could
hardly care less how good it looks on me, or I in it...

Let me say, however, that although the 2002 is taller and squarer than the GTV,
and despite its official status as a sedan, I've always considered it to be more
of a coupe. It has very little more usable interior room than the GTV, and its
back seat is only marginally more habitable by anyone over four feet tall!

Will Owen