Engines....

I hope you all don't think I love push rod engines- I don't. But in the 10 years I've worked in the industry, I've quickly become a realist. Both Ford and GM each have one line of cars that people actually care what is under the hood in the US (Focus and Saturn). Other than that, they don't seem to care much.

Mind you, most of you reading this are not our core buyers. Which is sad for me, as that means that Ford will never make that really cool small sedan besides the Focus- which isn't all that bad, but its stops there.

2 examples- lets say you had a chance to buy a car with a really good 3.0l 4V V6. This engine is a good one- revs nicely, and even Alfa Romeo considered this for a future powertrain (no kidding...). I would bet that 90% of you have not bought this car, or if you did, it was not because of the engine. Taurus.

next- how in the world can you explain that we sold 200k+ Tempo/ Topaz cars a year??? That has to be one of the worst cars of all time- crappy engine, crappy handling, disconnected steering. This is more cars than Alfa made in a year. Oddly enough, when the Contour/ Mystique was introduced, it was not very popular- it did everything the Tempo did, but at $5k more.

The auto industry is all about money. Whatever it takes to make as much money as possible in a industry that the competition is more fierce than most other. So if you had a choice of spending $1B on making a really nice OHC engine or $25M updating your current design which will do 85% of the OHC engine, its an obvious choice. And $1B would be realistic if GM were to part ways will ALL of their pushrods. Even Alfa made these choices- here in the US, we never saw the new TS I4 line- heck the I4 design was never seriously updated in its essential design since '54.

For all of us, though, the whole package that we got was greater than the sum of the parts. The BMW 2002 was a much better car from a technology standpoint, but the 2000 GTV kicks its butt all over the place.

More recently, Alfa chose (or was forced) to use the Fiat cast iron block. I hate that, but I see that economically, it was a sound decision.

Anyway, the above are opinions, so take them as you will...

Eric

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm