re-seating top studs?

I'm changing the top on my 71 spider for the first time and have discovered (not surprisingly) a large number of the studs (say about half) that hold the back portion of the top on have been snapped off and replaced with sheetmetal screws. I was wondering:

a) if it's possible to replace the studs, and if so how hard

b) is there any real disadvantage to sheetmetal screws

This is one of my winter projects, so I'm not in any hurry. I was just curious.

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider