re-seating top studs?

Scott,
       Thanks for a topic not related to Chevy vs Alfa....
       I am not sure how you can replace the top studs.  I felt around on my
wife's 91 spider and it seems the back side is a blind panel.  You could
drill out the old studs, but there is no way to put bolts back in there from
the back side.  And I do not think you could successfully weld all thread to
the side you can get to and have it hold.  Plus any welding will mess up the
paint.
       Sheet metal screws are about the only way I have figured out to attach
the top to the back of the body when the studs are gone.

       By the way, the top is totally removed on my 84 Spider race car and
will never be attached again.  However all the studs are still there and
still perfect.  They are a bit of a hazard when cleaning and they are
superfluous, but I did not grind them off because they are ALL there!  It is
one of the few spiders I have seen without at least one broken stud.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City