Re: re-seating top studs?

Scott Johnson wrote:

I'm changing the top on my 71 spider for the first time and have
discovered (not surprisingly) a large number of the studs (say about
half) that hold the back portion of the top on have been snapped off and
replaced with sheetmetal screws. I was wondering:

a) if it's possible to replace the studs, and if so how hard

b) is there any real disadvantage to sheetmetal screws

-------------------

Scott

Sheetmetal screws will work but let's face it - it's a hack job at best.
When I did my restoration it was about the fourth time I had installed a new
top on the old Spider and most of the studs that hadn't broken off yet were
in really bad shape so I cut all of them off and replaced them with
riv-nuts. So now the rear of the top is secured with stainless 10-32 machine
screws. You will need a riv-nut tool to do it (about $35) but you will find
thousands of other uses for it so it's worth the investment.

You can get the tool and supplies from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.php

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa