Re: Heads - DLAC

> Biggest advantage of pushrod engines to the DIY car owner is how much it
> simplifies removing and replacing the head, since you can do that
> without disturbing the valve timing.

I have to agree, given the experience I had over the last few days.  My
nephew's '97 Chevy Cavalier blew its head gasket last week.  It has the
pushrod 4.  It took us about 2 hours to pull the head, sort of feeling our
way along to find all the little wires, hoses and vacuum lines that had to
come off.  It took about the same amount of time to put it back on.  With
the hydraulic lifters and pushrods there's nothing to adjust, it's pretty
much a job that someone with little mechanical experience could do by just
following the steps in the Haynes manual we bought.  Started the first try
and is running like a champ again.  Even though I know how to time an OHC
engine, I always have a little moment of doubt when first cranking one over
after assembly.  Probably a legacy of years of Fiat ownership. . .

Tony
Portland, OR
74 GTV 2000 (for sale)
70 2800 CS