Got my LS back - and the transmission problem was...

...a broken sun gear and bad input shaft bearing. One
$3000 transmission rebuild and new clutch later and my
164LS is back on the road.
Karl D, I believe this was similar to what happened
with your LS, except on yours the "spider gear" went?
Is that the same as the sun gear?
Regardless, in the interim, I was lured ;) into a Saab
showroom and am now leasing the new 9-3 Sport Sedan.
Which means that my LS is now for sale...I'll send
details in another message. Until then, thank you
everyone for your help with this problem!

Adam
'94 164LS
'70 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
'03 Saab 9-3 SS