V6 Power

This is an interesting subject, so I'll pipe in on my opinions...

Its interesting to hear the various ideas to make power, but I think it's quite possible to make 300hp from a N/A 3.0l. BUT that will require rebuilds quite often. For that matter, you might still be able to get the car with this in it- Richard Jemison's GT2 GTV6 race car. He did a bunch of research for his engine, and did dyno the final product at 300hp. VERY expensive, I'm sure.

But 300 hp on a turbo is much easier- heck, Jim Steck's 2.0l makes 350, and it's still alive (the trans isn't, however...). Doing something similar would not be easy, but the hard part is in copying the manifolds on the Calloway.

Either way, you have to do machining (turbo- pistons, N/A- virtually everything), a new controller (no way Bosch will make terribly much), and an up-rated trans and driveline. And since you have to re-ferbish everything, I think doing this on an aged engine isn't that bad- reading the Calloway article (thank you Martin!!!), even Reeves only machined the stock pistons down and it worked just fine. Basically, it would be a very similar job that we did on the Challenge car, but with 2 more cylinders.

Once again, this was an option for later GRM Challenge, as Milano's were cheap, and '91 164's have 3.0l's that can be "adapted" to the 119 chassis.

Dang... I can only IMAGINE how much fun 300hp in a Milano would be! Not that I know much, yet, but I learn more about turbo's every day, so I'll try to answer some of the questions. Making the manifold is not something I know much about....

Eric

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm