105: repacking wheel bearings

Dana,
       On wheel bearings, I like to wash all the old grease off with solvent.
 Then diligently work new wheel bearing grease thoroughly into each bearing
after they dry.  I used to fill the center between the two bearings (the
center of the hub) with grease.  Later I realized that grease does not move
around much, so just get plenty in and around the bearings.  I cannot tell
you exactly how much to use, but use plenty.  Fill the cavities with grease
and then push the bearings into place, wipe off part of the excess, put on
the washer, the cotter key and the cap and you are done.  I also used to fill
the cap with grease, but again, over kill.
       I tighten the nut tight with pliers, then back it off, tighten it
finger tight and spin the rotor.  Work the nut back and forth as you spin.
Maybe even tighten with pliers again.  At the final setting it should be
finger tight, then loosened to the first notch the cotter pin will fit into.
       I always use a new seal behind the inner bearing.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City