105: repacking wheel bearings

VW used to recommend that the hubs be completely packed with grease. This
may be a hold-over from when wheel hubs used ball bearings instead of
tapered needle bearings. I think with ball bearings a slightly looser grease
is used and maybe that's why people remember packing the hubs full.

I use a nifty hand press that nicely repacks needle bearings. I think that
other than completely packing the bearings, everything else should get a
nice coating of grease mainly as rust/corrosion prevention? Getting the
preload set properly is important for long bearing life. I bought a
inch-pound torque wrench and followed the procedure in the manual - so far,
so good.

Rich M
72 GTV
66 Ducati M1