re: 105: repacking wheel bearings

My mistake.  I *thought* I was quoting the CarDisc version of the
Alfetta manual (that's what's included on the GTV6/Milano CarDisc),
dated March 1978.  However, as Rich points out, it does state 55 grams,
not 20 grams, per bearing "spreading it uniformly inside and on the
sides of the bearings".  It also states:

  Do not exceed this quantity, to prevent the bearing from being
  overloaded, thus causing overheating, loss of grease, etc.

It later states to lubricate the stub axle and oil seal lip with grease
(no quantity specified), and to apply diff oil to the oil seal during
installation (probably just to help seat it).  Since nothing turns on
the stub axle, I'm going to assume this is mostly a rust-preventative
and a dirt trap, so very little should be necessary.

It doesn't say anything about packing the hub recess, so there is some
inconsistency between manuals.

I stand by my statement that 55 grams is still a lot less grease than most
people seem to use, based on pulling apart the hubs on three different
Alfas (and replacing wheel bearings on two of them).  Completely filling
the hub with the stuff is definitely using too much.

james montebello