RE: Italian Design - Total Insanity

If you know how heat shield is located under exhaust
manifold you will not asked the question.  There are probably
three times more rivets than manifold screws - most of
them I cannot see.  Most manifold screws are in blind
spots same as almost all rivets.  If I can get a drill
with bits down there, I will have absolute no problem
getting a wrench down there and removed the manifold.
Besides, destroy heat shield and try to repair it
later is never a good idea.

I was wrong that heat shield is riveted to manifold - I
did not see bracket at first.  The bracket is very small
, heart shield is riveted to the bracket,
and the bracket is held by manifold screws.

Thanks to Don, I finally removed the third starter motor
screw using an extension just behind the starter motor.
I don't know how to put it back yet.  I will probably
trim a little bit of heat shied for easier access at
screws after I removed the transmission.

Karl

> I have found why my auto transmission would not drop.
> There is a third starter motor bolt hidden well out
> of reach of humanity.  If I could remove the heat shield
> I may have a chance - just maybe.  But the heat shield is
> RIVETED to exhaust manifold - unlike service manual which
> showing it bolted to manifold.  At this point I am stuck.
> Removing manifold as I can see probably require removing
> engine.

I don't own a 164, but I'll ask the stupid (obvious) question - why not
just drill out the rivets for the heat shield, then bolt it back in when
it comes time to put it all back together?

bs