re: 105: repacking wheel bearings

James Montebello wrote:

>> Can't speak directly for the 105, but the manual for the 116 states
that only 20 *grams* of grease should be used per bearing.  <<

And,

>> It doesn't mention packing any grease into the hub itself, since only the
bearings
are taking any load.  <<

Not sure what manual James got this info out of, but the tech manuals
I have for the Alfetta/Milano cars I have call for

55g grease for front wheel bearings (Alfetta Inspection Specs, #2364, p.
21-5)
50g grease for front wheel bearings (Milano manual from IAP, p. 21-7)

AND the Milano manual actually says to "pack hub recess with 50g of grease."

(Workshop manual I have for 115 spider says to use 65g grease, which makes
sense since the bearing/recess in the spider is larger.)

For a description of how to pack a wheel bearing, see the article at the i
Saluti
website at:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/whlbear.html

It's a modified version of a procedure given at the CR
website: www.chicago-rawhide.com

Rich Hirsch
St Louis, MO