Re: Transmission swap

The early synchros have machined grooves around the circumference . . . the
later ones have a plasma-sprayed coating.  They look like a metallic clutch
facing.  If you have or can borrow a borescope, you should be able to identify
the type.

Your other option is to move the 0.79 fifth gear to the '67 gearbox, keeping the
later synchro.  It's less work than rebuilding the '64 transmission.

Regards,
Jim Steck

-------------------------- snip -------------------------
> Now, that raises the need for a transmission rebuild of the '64 transmision
with
> the .79 fifth.  Since it is an early one and it has no sticker, it originally
> had the early non-moly synchros, which need non-EP oil.  In the little I drove
> it I noticed that it had a very bad second gear crunch.  I can think of 2
> possible reasons: worn out syncro or wrong type of oil.  The car was not
sorted
> at all when I got it so, it is possible (wishful thinking) that the PO put in
> the wrong oil.
>
> This raises a couple more questions:
>
> 1. Is there any way to tell if the oil is EP or non-EP?  (by smell or??)
> 2. Is there an easy way to get a look at the syncros to tell what type they
are
> or if they are worn out.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]