Re: Transmission swap

Jim and Jeff,

The two bellhousings have the reverse light switch in the same place, so I could
swap them...  But I didnt realize that the 1300 and 1600 5th gears had different
ratios.  Sounds like I really should use all the 1600 pieces - engine,
bellhousing and transmission.

Now, that raises the need for a transmission rebuild of the '64 transmision with
the .79 fifth.  Since it is an early one and it has no sticker, it originally
had the early non-moly synchros, which need non-EP oil.  In the little I drove
it I noticed that it had a very bad second gear crunch.  I can think of 2
possible reasons: worn out syncro or wrong type of oil.  The car was not sorted
at all when I got it so, it is possible (wishful thinking) that the PO put in
the wrong oil.

This raises a couple more questions:

1. Is there any way to tell if the oil is EP or non-EP?  (by smell or??)
2. Is there an easy way to get a look at the syncros to tell what type they are
or if they are worn out.

Thanks again,
John Basel
67 GT Junior