Transmission swap

Its not as easy as I thought to replace one 105 tranny with another 105
tranny.  Both use mechanical clutches, but there are other differences I
didn't expect.

I have a '64 1600 engine/tranny and a '67 1300 engine/tranny.  I'd like to
use the 67 tranny on the 64 engine, but I'm not sure how to do it. (I'm
upgrading my 67 GT Junior to a 1600, and want to use the 67 tranny, since
it was recently rebuilt.)

Here are the differences I've noticed:
                           '64 105 1600          '67 105 1300
 Starter mount to spacer:  2 bolt                3 bolt
 Spacer:                   5.4 mm thick          0.5 mm thick
 Spacer:                   bolted to block       not bolted to block
 Main shaft protrudes
   past bell housing:      11 mm                 4.6 mm

The difference in the spacer thicknesses makes up for the most of the
difference in main shaft protrusion, so the blocks/cranks can all be the
same. (I guess the 1.5 mm difference is too small to matter?)  So, the
spacers must stay with the bell housings.

Here are the choices for installing the 64 1600 engine:

1. use the 67 tranny, 67 bell housing, 67 spacer and 3 bolt starter.
  PRO: stronger starter support
  CON: spacer does not have mounting holes for attaching to block

2. use the 67 tranny, 64 bell housing, 64 spacer and 2 bolt starter.
  PRO: spacer matches block
  CON: weaker starter support
  CON: extra work to swap bell housings

Although, I think I prefer to keep the bell housing/spacer with its
engine, I cant see any real strong reason to go either way.
Will both of these choices work?

If I do decide to swap bell housings, is there anything to watch out for?

TIA
John Basel