Re: Oil Leak Solved - SIL Water Pump

Leslie, sorry for the delayed response.  I've been travelling.  Picture the
tachometer cable going into the water pump housing.  If the cable were to go
straight through and out the other side of the pump, that is where the steel
pin is.  I believe the purpose of the pin is to provide a harder "seat" for
the tachometer drive gear than the aluminum housing would provide.
Apparently, on some aftermarket pumps, the pin was pressed in poorly
resulting in a poor fit in the aluminum.  On mine, I drove the pin out, put
some RTV under it and popped it back in.  So far, so good.  No leaks.  It was
amazing to me how much oil leaked before the fix, as the problem couldn't
really be identified just from looking at the outside of the pump.  On my
car, the leaking oil could be seen running down the "ramp" created by the
fuel injection belt housing on the front cover.  Keep in mind, I had just
rebuilt the engine, so everything was very clean.  You may not be so lucky.

As a final note for others who think they may have a bad pump.  Mine came in
a box labeled "SIL" Industrie Saleri Italo.

Erik Wood