Re: Oil Leak Solved - SIL Water Pump

Erik and Joe,

Thank you for the information. I had a sinking feeling after reading "Oil
Leak from Water Pump solved" (26 Jan 2003), having just put in a new water
pump. I went to the car wash and pressure washed the lower front engine area
and oil pan. I came home and saw oil leaking down the front cover below the
water pump.  More sinking came after getting Joe's message and having
searched the Digest to see others have had the problem.

As soon as I got your email, I looked at the box for my water pump - it is a
SIL also. I called the vendor and they said that they had problems with
water pumps leaking from this point. I asked them how I got one and how did
they know that they were OK now. They said they sell many everyday and they
returned the ones from the shipment they found defective. They are sending
me another one on which I will RTV the described pin. Unfortunately, the
vendor did not offer to install the replacement water pump for me.

FWIW, this situation arose because I had a radiator problem that I fixed
(thanks to Jim Steck of AutoComponenti). I had wondered if I should replace
the water pump since the radiator was going to be out. I thought I was doing
preventative maintenance. If I hadn't done the water pump, the old one
probably would have frozen and punched a hole in my radiator. Or something
like that.

Leslie Wong
1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce
Pacific Grove, CA