Re: Project and ideas

Paul Bayly mused:-
original message
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:38:31 +0930 (AUS Central Standard Time)
From: "Paul Bayly" <thebaylys@domain.elided>
Subject: Project & Ideas

Further to my prior question on Alfetta steering I thought I'd run a few
ideas past the digesti for discussion.

I am in the planning stages of making a homebuilt spaceframe chassis to
accept Alfetta (2L) running gear (transaxle, engine, dedion, etc)   I have a
few loose ideas of what I'm after and at this stage am very keen on building
either a single or two seat car with 1930-1940's retro style bodywork.  Body
needs to be as simple as possible, so not too many complex curves.

Anyway, I thought it might be possible to connect the twin cam straight up
to the transaxle for a mid engine design.  Thoughts ???  It would still be a
rather long combination but I dont fancy sitting the family jewels 1" above
a propshaft spinning at engine RPM, as would be the case in front
engine/rear drive.  Front/rear configuration would also require a high
seating position to clear clutch housing and propshaft

Would I need to make an adapter bellhousing to secure g'box to engine ?

Would a very short propshaft suffice, or would the flex between engine and
box trash everything ?

What about simply using one donut to join the two ?

Has anyone ever heard of a kit to graft a transaxle directly onto the back
of a twincam (or V6) and what about converting the clutch assy to 'normal'
configuration against an engine mounted flywheel.

Cost is of course the deciding factor so I will probably go with standard
Alfetta layout.   I believe the retro style body will allow a high seating
position without looking absurd, but I thought I'd try this vast pool of
knowledge !!!  There is no such thing as a dumb idea so all contributions
are willingly accepted.

TIA

Beatle
Oz

Been thinking similar thoughts myself for when I get rich enough.
How about using the Alfetta / 75 front suspension with a 33 16V ie drive train fitted in the rear? Kind of recycled mid engine idea.
I have no idea how the bits would fit together i.e. if there would be room to sit in it, but I have the bits in the yard.

Jonathan Coates
164 running
33 1.7 SW not tested for the road just now - needs cambelts and suspension bushes, fuel and brake pipes etc.
75 2.0 TS needs Ex. manifolds, holes welding up and gearbox rebuild
2.0 GTV Alfetta to be done first
In windy Huddersfield UK