Oil Leak from Water Pump solved

A couple months ago, I asked the group for input into a substantial oil leak
from the front of my 2-liter immediately after a rebuild.  Many of you
offered suggestions, including one person who said the water pump might be
the source.  Well, like an idiot, I didn't give the water pump enought
consideration.  It was brand new after all.  So, the other day, I stopped at
Besic Motorsports and asked Mike what it sounded like to him.  He immediately
suggested checking the water pump housing in the tachometer drive housing.

It seems that many aftermarket water pumps have a steel pin press fit into
the tach drive housing directly beneath the gear.  It apparently isn't
uncommon for the pin to damage the aluminum on the way in and create a leak.
So, I did as Mike suggested, drove the pin out, put high-temp RTV under it
and reassembled.  Guess what, not a drop of oil coming out now, where before
it was about 3 drops per second.  Now I just wish we would get a good rain
and get all that salt of the roads here in Chicago!

What I learned from this adventure was that new parts aren't always good, and
that I shouldn't too readily disregard the advice of those on the Alfa
Digest!

Erik Wood
'74 GTV
'56 Giulietta Spider