From: "alfacybersite" <acs@domain.elided>
To: "AD" <alfa-digest@domain.elided>; "Stefano Iachella"
<iachella@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 5:49 PM
Subject: Odd engine/clutch behavior on GTV

> ********
>
> Stefano, I'm guessing you have a combination of two or possibly three
> clutch problems.
>
> For clients who want all the little details worked out and are willing
> to pay the freight, I always have the clutch pressure plate 'trued up'
> and of course replace the disc.
>
> Not unlike the not to distant Alfa brake disc thread, I'm somewhat
> convinced Alfa clutch pressure plates aren't all that parallel to the
> flywheel - even when new. If my theory is even remotely correct, along
> with one's shifting / clutch habits the 'out of round' (for want of a
> better term) of the pressure plate has a tendency to cause the disc
> surface to warp and then glaze on the high spots. However, unlike brake discs, the trued up pressure plates seem to be fine afterward.

If one is getting very persnickety, perhaps the flywheel's clutch
surface should also be trued up, especially if it is scored. I always at
least take fairly coarse sandpaper and rough the surface before
reinstalling the clutch. If one is fairly harsh on their clutch and / or
slip it, the clutch disc surfaces glazes over. If the pressure plate's
surface is warped / out of round, you will most likely feel a pulsing
feeling when pushing in and letting out the clutch.

It is always ideal to have all the moving parts balanced. Most generally
clutch pressure plates come back from balancing with a number of shallow
holes on one side and on rare occasions, a piece of metal welded to the
other side - meaning they are often way out of balance, even when new.
Not unusual for flywheels to also have a series of holes drilled on one side.

Moving on to your 'bucking' situation: There are a number of things
which can make an engine appear to be bucking. First, I'd suspect a
slight fuel starvation problem (fuel pump / fuel filter?). If it happens
at higher rpm's, I'd check this first. Yes, an engine greatly out of
balance could give the feel of bucking. The same goes with a driveshaft
with either worn bearings / splines, out of balance, and / or bad rubber donut.

I remember beginning to write this and for some reason got stuck on the
word 'glaze'. About that time a friend stopped by and believe I must
have filed the unfinished email in my outbox (rather than in drafts). It
apparently got sent along with another email.

Hope I haven't inundated you with too many possibilities.

Biba

I always let my spell checker clean up my misspellings (like parallel).

Oops, just remembered: When / if you remove the clutch and there is oil
on the disc's surface, be sure to replace the front seal on the
transmission (and of course the disc, even if it is almost new). Rarely
will a leaking rear engine seal get oil on the disc.