164L oil pressure relief valve

Is it possible to have an oil pressure relief valve stick on an Alfa Romeo 164?

Oddly, when it got down to -5 here in Boston the 164 blew the oil filter during start up. Shut down immediately...

I replaced the filter and refilled 10W-40 - waiting till it was a 28 degrees (the warmest it has been
in a while) - then I disconnected the
coil and let the motor turn over until the pressure came up to about 60.
Now, when I attempt to start the pressure spikes up past 100 and I shut it down very quickly.
Something tells me the pressure relief valve is not relieving.

I wonder if that night it got to -5 if the valve is is permanently stuck close.
Anyone have any thoughts? I don't know how this mechanism is designed.
I sure would like to use the car before April when things thaw out....

Steve