Odd engine/clutch behavior on GTV

In #208 Stefano Iachella is experiencing the following clutch behaviour:

"Im experiencing an odd behavior on my 74 GTV. For a few months
now, sometimes under a hard acceleration and shifting quickly from
3rd to 4th, the engine speed wouldn't drop down very far and
just after the clutch was engaged, the engine would race up as I
accelerated, but the clutch would take a few seconds to catch up.

"The other day, I was in 4th or 5th on the freeway and I just slammed
down the accelerator, and the engine went up but the car didn't follow
right away. It took a second or two, as if I had pushed the clutch in.

"It sounds like my clutch is slipping, maybe wearing out, but I was
backing up on a hill yesterday and I spun the tires easily. I've always
experienced a clutch going bad as slow to catch when pulling away from
a stop.

"Could my clutch be going bad, or is it not adjusted properly somewhere?

********

Stefano, I'm guessing you have a combination of two or possibly three
clutch problems.

For clients who want all the little details worked out and are willing
to pay the freight, I always have the clutch pressure plate 'trued up'
and of course replace the disc.

Not unlike the not to distant Alfa brake disc thread, I'm somewhat
convinced Alfa clutch pressure plates aren't all that parall to the
flywheel - even when new. If my theory is even remotely correct, along
with one's shifting / clutch habits the 'out of round' (for want of a
better term) of the pressure plate has a tendency to cause the disc
surface to