Odd engine/clutch behavior on GTV

Hey cats,

I'm experiencing an odd behavior on my 74 GTV. For a few months
now, sometimes under a hard acceleration and shifting quickly from
3rd to 4th, the engine speed wouldn't drop down very far and
just after the clutch was engaged, the engine would race up as I
accelerated, but the clutch would take a few seconds to catch up.

The other day, I was in 4th or 5th on the freeway and I just slammed
down the accelerator, and the engine went up but the car didn't follow
right away. It took a second or two, as if I had pushed the clutch in.

It sounds like my clutch is slipping, maybe wearing out, but I was
backing up on a hill yesterday and I spun the tires easily. I've always
experienced a clutch going bad as slow to catch when pulling away from
a stop.

Could my clutch be going bad, or is it not adjusted properly somewhere?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA